Life is Precious
LIFE IS PRECIOUS - a statement that has been staring into my face since the day i started work in a hospital.
A hospital is a place where reality slaps you hard in the face and you are left with no where to run. It smacks you with such impact you are paralysed with fear that runs through to the core of your spine.
During the past few months, I've met patients who are my parents' age and younger who are suffering from stroke, bleed in the brain, aphasia and serious epilepsy resulting from a bleed in the brain. These diseases leave their victims crippled in more ways than one not just physically as in the form of paralysis but also emotionally. How would a father feel knowing he can't even identify his eyes and noes? How would others feel that they cannot even do basic things such as cleaning oneself feel?
HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU LOST YOUR ABILITY TO SPEAK OR COMMUNICATE?
OR
HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU COULDN'T EAT WHAT YOU WANT AS YOU ARE CHOKING IN YOUR OWN SALIVA?
My heart goes out to these people as they would have so many obstacles placed in front of them as they and their family try to pick up the pieces of their lives again. Not only does rehabilitation take time, the emotional healing would also need time to heal and it is at this point when an individual can hit rock bottom.
Each day is precious and I'm certain anyone who has a loved one suffering or had suffered from a life crippling disease can fathom what I am trying to say here.
Just over the weekend I attended a retreat which made me realize so many things about myself and my relationships with people. As much as I'd like to share my experience with everyone, there are no words to describe it. But what I can say is that relationships with God, family, signifaicant other and friends take a lot of effort to build. It requires more than just tolerance, love and understanding; it involves revolves around the essence of wanting a sense of belonging and to do that one has to give of oneself unconditionally.
It is not easy but if both parties strive for the same thing, they would come out of it with a much stronger relationship. Sometimes, it even requires for one party to start the ball rolling and it ain't eays as the first push is always the hardest; but once the ball starts rolling it would just keep gaining momentum and the relationshhip would bear much fruit.
And when disaster were to come and plague what we already have, it is the good relationships built with those who matter to us that would pull us through.
Life is precious and life is short - Treasure those around you.
Gifts spent on family and friends: $450
Grocery shopping for the family and friends: $100
Building strong relationships and making memories with family and friends: PRICELESS
A clique example but it speaks volumes.
"Dear Lord, I've finally opened my heart to those who matter and my life will never be the same.
I have no one else to thank but you for you gave me the oppurtunity to learn so much about myself
and loved ones who patiently waited for the day I hand them the key to my heart.
Thank you for placing the mirror infront of me.
Thank you for removing the veils from my eyes.
I love you Lord.
With all my love, your daughter Ada"
A hospital is a place where reality slaps you hard in the face and you are left with no where to run. It smacks you with such impact you are paralysed with fear that runs through to the core of your spine.
During the past few months, I've met patients who are my parents' age and younger who are suffering from stroke, bleed in the brain, aphasia and serious epilepsy resulting from a bleed in the brain. These diseases leave their victims crippled in more ways than one not just physically as in the form of paralysis but also emotionally. How would a father feel knowing he can't even identify his eyes and noes? How would others feel that they cannot even do basic things such as cleaning oneself feel?
HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU LOST YOUR ABILITY TO SPEAK OR COMMUNICATE?
OR
HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU COULDN'T EAT WHAT YOU WANT AS YOU ARE CHOKING IN YOUR OWN SALIVA?
My heart goes out to these people as they would have so many obstacles placed in front of them as they and their family try to pick up the pieces of their lives again. Not only does rehabilitation take time, the emotional healing would also need time to heal and it is at this point when an individual can hit rock bottom.
Each day is precious and I'm certain anyone who has a loved one suffering or had suffered from a life crippling disease can fathom what I am trying to say here.
Just over the weekend I attended a retreat which made me realize so many things about myself and my relationships with people. As much as I'd like to share my experience with everyone, there are no words to describe it. But what I can say is that relationships with God, family, signifaicant other and friends take a lot of effort to build. It requires more than just tolerance, love and understanding; it involves revolves around the essence of wanting a sense of belonging and to do that one has to give of oneself unconditionally.
It is not easy but if both parties strive for the same thing, they would come out of it with a much stronger relationship. Sometimes, it even requires for one party to start the ball rolling and it ain't eays as the first push is always the hardest; but once the ball starts rolling it would just keep gaining momentum and the relationshhip would bear much fruit.
And when disaster were to come and plague what we already have, it is the good relationships built with those who matter to us that would pull us through.
Life is precious and life is short - Treasure those around you.
Gifts spent on family and friends: $450
Grocery shopping for the family and friends: $100
Building strong relationships and making memories with family and friends: PRICELESS
A clique example but it speaks volumes.
"Dear Lord, I've finally opened my heart to those who matter and my life will never be the same.
I have no one else to thank but you for you gave me the oppurtunity to learn so much about myself
and loved ones who patiently waited for the day I hand them the key to my heart.
Thank you for placing the mirror infront of me.
Thank you for removing the veils from my eyes.
I love you Lord.
With all my love, your daughter Ada"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home