Valentines
Valentine's day have revolved in various stages for me.
In secondary school, Valentine's day was full of little notes, lolipops and sweets from all my girl pals. And I would spend nights doing little gifts and notes for my dearest friends too. No one left school without a little somethings, infact we would all go home with a bag full of sweet thoughts, notes and gifts.
My parents felt that it was a complete waste of time and money but I often retorted by saying: "It's a day when you reaffirm your friends of the friendship shared!" They just shook their head.
When I first got attached, my dream of an ideal Valentine's was one that included a big bouquet of roses, kisses and a lovely dinner. (What a mistake!) My boyfriend then decided to spend it with another girl. We obviously broke up... :P
And I returned to my typical IJ Valentine's the next year... which by the way, i enjoyed so much more! Heh...
When I got attached again, I made a vow that I shan't be disappointed so I planned that Valentine's. There was candles the professed my supposed love, handmade cookies, drinks and of course the gift exchange.
Sounds nice? Yes it was until i found out that the lockette I recieved was my mum's idea and she even chose it! *speechless*
We broke up. (He was a _____)
So the next year was one which I spent making gifts for my friends and watching soccer with a used-to-be buddy. It was fun while it lasted...
Then 2005 came and I was to experience the BEST valentine's I've ever had in the history of my love life... :P
We didn't make any plans and even agreed on a no present policy. I too specifically said "No cliche Valentine's day gift please and no flowers as they would cost a bomb!"
So we stuck to it until I walked passed a chocolate shop and decided to spring a surprise on my beloved. :p In his panic to return me a gift, he bought me a box too... *grin* but that was not the end of it.
We walked around town, admired bouquets, ate popsicles, window shopped.... and before we made it to dinner, he had bought for me a topaz pendant and a top. We finally settled at BIG O for dinner as NYDC was wasy too packed.
Dinner was lovely but the conversations at dinner... they were beyond great!
After dinner, I finally agreed to a cliche Valentine's gift - a teddy holding a small bouquet. And 6 CDs were added to our shopping bags.
It may sound like a typical valentine's thing to do, but for me the sincerity and love that exuded from my beloved when he bought me the gazillions gifts made this valentine's the BEST valnetine's I ever had in my love life history.
The gifts are secondary and play no part in making this the best Valentine's, although I must say I like the stuff he got for me! :P
This Valentine's is the best because I spent it with someone who loves me just as much as I love him, sometimes he even beats me at it. I spent it with someone who is willing to go through life's highest and lowest moments with me, who understands me and to sum it all, He ACCEPTS me for everything that I am - my strengths and my weaknesses. He loves the whole package... :P
Whether I spent Valentine's exchanging small gifts with my girlfriends or being in our very own world with my beloved, the essesnce of it is still the same. Valentine's day is only special and beautiful when the people you spend valentine's with are sincere about reaffirming the relationship shared. Because in that way, they would mean what they say and it would strengthen the bonds of friendship.
For me, yesterday reminded me that I have been given an angel whom I would cherish and love for the rest of my life, through sickness and in health, through good times and in bad.
I love you Marcus.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home