Singlish
Singlish has taken the world by storm! Ok... that is a bit of an exaggeration. I am currently doing a research on accent differences between Singaporean Chinese and Australians when they speak English and my search has brought me to a site in wikipedia which blew me away.
Type in Singalish in Wikipedia and you get a full explanation on its uses and context, its words and even its origins. I have been exposed to Singalish all my life and I had no idea how we use some of the words we use!
I am speechless.
For years, I was fined a dollar and corrected for every word or phrase of singlish that came out of my mouth. And now, all this time someone somewhere was doing research on it and there are all these theories of it being a creole or pidgin language!
Isn't it ironic how we have the "Speak good English" campaign while many are interested in its uses and origins?
I couldn't even explain to my friends here how we use our 'lahs' and 'lors' and I couldn't even demonstrate it properly.... and the internet can.
Type in Singalish in Wikipedia and you get a full explanation on its uses and context, its words and even its origins. I have been exposed to Singalish all my life and I had no idea how we use some of the words we use!
I am speechless.
For years, I was fined a dollar and corrected for every word or phrase of singlish that came out of my mouth. And now, all this time someone somewhere was doing research on it and there are all these theories of it being a creole or pidgin language!
Isn't it ironic how we have the "Speak good English" campaign while many are interested in its uses and origins?
I couldn't even explain to my friends here how we use our 'lahs' and 'lors' and I couldn't even demonstrate it properly.... and the internet can.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home