A cosy christmas
Finally found the time to blog - it's been busy busy busy the past week!! It started with christmas prezzie shopping, candle making, present wrapping, ham baking, tiramisu making, christmas tree shopping and the list goes on...
Then *PUFF* christmas eve came, and it was spent cooking for christmas day lunch (coz peranakan food taste better left over night - it is something everyone in my family believes) and of course the highlight of it all - christmas dinner with the family and midnight mass in church!!
Christmas day came, and it was a day of merry making with my relatives! :)
And now christmas day has come and gone but the spirit of the season lives on.
As a child, christmas was a time for presents, christmas tree decorating and the once a year chance to stay up late!! And of course, the mountain load of candies and chocolates awaiting at every house!
But in the past few years, christmas has taken on a whole new meaning for me.
Since I met Marcus, we have had to make christmas presents rather than buy christmas presents as one is a poor student and the other a poor NS boy. Haha! But it isn't as bad as it sound as for me, I am now a much richer person.
In the past, I was always big on making sure I get my friends and family the best and biggest present, thus, my christmas shopping used to involve walking into jewellery shops and big departmental stores. And each year, my brother and I can spend up to 200 plus each!
Now, I have a longer christmas list to shop for but alot less cash to spend - not that I want to but rather was put into a position where I had to. However, I now enjoy christmas so much more, especially this year!
What makes christmas so special for me? It is the time spent with my family and of course Marcus.
Before christmas, Marcus and I went around with a tight budget looking for the perfect christmas present for our family and friends! And to our surprise we managed to stretch the dollars we had and this year we manged to include our beloved cousins!
But the focus of it is not the cost we spent but rather the time spent with each other and the constant discussions of what to get for and every person on our list! We went shopping together, made handmade gifts together and through it all our love for each other deepened and strengthened even more - and that is the best christmas gift I got!
Marcus and I didn't get anything for each other this year, but he gave me the best gift of all. His love. With it comes time, patience, understanding and all. And these things are more precious than the biggest diamond ring as these things are things that can only be given and never taken back.
The other gift i love so much, is the gift of my family. We are now closer than ever and it extends out to my relatives as well. I got to have conversations with my extended family which i thought were never possible! Old relationships were picked up from where we left off and strengthened. What more can I ask?
The next gift or rather gifts I treasure so much are my friends. Although not all my friends gave me a wrapped present - but through the years of our friendship, they had already given me the best gift they could ever give me: the gift of friendship. Cheesy as it may sound, but it is truly the best gift ever as I would not be where I am today if it had not been for those who stood by me through the storm and walked over the rainbow with me.
In a nutshell, the best gift is to be able to tell those whom you love so much how special and dear they are to you through the years and in the past year. To be able to physically hug and wish a dear one merry christmas or compliments of the season is the best gift of all.
Then *PUFF* christmas eve came, and it was spent cooking for christmas day lunch (coz peranakan food taste better left over night - it is something everyone in my family believes) and of course the highlight of it all - christmas dinner with the family and midnight mass in church!!
Christmas day came, and it was a day of merry making with my relatives! :)
And now christmas day has come and gone but the spirit of the season lives on.
As a child, christmas was a time for presents, christmas tree decorating and the once a year chance to stay up late!! And of course, the mountain load of candies and chocolates awaiting at every house!
But in the past few years, christmas has taken on a whole new meaning for me.
Since I met Marcus, we have had to make christmas presents rather than buy christmas presents as one is a poor student and the other a poor NS boy. Haha! But it isn't as bad as it sound as for me, I am now a much richer person.
In the past, I was always big on making sure I get my friends and family the best and biggest present, thus, my christmas shopping used to involve walking into jewellery shops and big departmental stores. And each year, my brother and I can spend up to 200 plus each!
Now, I have a longer christmas list to shop for but alot less cash to spend - not that I want to but rather was put into a position where I had to. However, I now enjoy christmas so much more, especially this year!
What makes christmas so special for me? It is the time spent with my family and of course Marcus.
Before christmas, Marcus and I went around with a tight budget looking for the perfect christmas present for our family and friends! And to our surprise we managed to stretch the dollars we had and this year we manged to include our beloved cousins!
But the focus of it is not the cost we spent but rather the time spent with each other and the constant discussions of what to get for and every person on our list! We went shopping together, made handmade gifts together and through it all our love for each other deepened and strengthened even more - and that is the best christmas gift I got!
Marcus and I didn't get anything for each other this year, but he gave me the best gift of all. His love. With it comes time, patience, understanding and all. And these things are more precious than the biggest diamond ring as these things are things that can only be given and never taken back.
The other gift i love so much, is the gift of my family. We are now closer than ever and it extends out to my relatives as well. I got to have conversations with my extended family which i thought were never possible! Old relationships were picked up from where we left off and strengthened. What more can I ask?
The next gift or rather gifts I treasure so much are my friends. Although not all my friends gave me a wrapped present - but through the years of our friendship, they had already given me the best gift they could ever give me: the gift of friendship. Cheesy as it may sound, but it is truly the best gift ever as I would not be where I am today if it had not been for those who stood by me through the storm and walked over the rainbow with me.
In a nutshell, the best gift is to be able to tell those whom you love so much how special and dear they are to you through the years and in the past year. To be able to physically hug and wish a dear one merry christmas or compliments of the season is the best gift of all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home