Silent Opinions
It was only yesterday that I got in touch with local news and found out about out indoor protests. My initial reaction was one that involved me holding my stomach and ensuring I do not fall off the chair. However, after a good laugh and the possible dangers of an outdoor protest gone wrong flashed across my mind, I felt that maybe it isn’t as silly an action as I thought it to be.
This thought leaped frog to another and made me wonder of how opinionated we really are. As most would know, I have more often or not got into trouble because of opinions I made (Okay, never mind the fact that more often or not it is with my parents) and I always have something to say. I enjoy conversations where ideas are challenged and thoughts are questioned – nothing personal of course.
It is in fact a trait that people seem to identify with IJ girls. Thus, I do not think I am wrong to say that we are more opinionated and louder than most girls back home.
The funny thing is that, although I enjoy such conversations, I have never learnt to be a quick thinker. An odd combination I know.
Thus, since coming here, I have been nothing else but me however; I am thrown on the other end of the spectrum. Being the slow thinker I am I am often left in the smoke of the conversation and by the time I have thought of something to say, the dust has settled and the conversation have moved on in another tangent.
And for the first time in my life, I felt out-voiced! And many a times find myself wishing my brain could process faster and that words could fly out of my mouth. Maybe it is another trait I picked up from my upbringing: Having always been told I have a tongue as sharp as a sword I have learnt to rethink the things I am to say for fear of offending and hurting someone.
It is not all bad of course, I am still loud and I still get my opinions heard. The only difference is that there are occasions where I am left in the smoke and it frustrates me! Not in a bad way, if you know what I mean.
And so I am now left wondering, how much of us are silenced and how much of it is contributed by our laws and upbringing?
I would like to think I am one who speaks her mind and is comfortable when faced with opposition. However, I know that no matter how opinionated I am I think too much to be known as one who speaks her mind. As a result, a lot of my opinions end up being part of my self-talk to me and few make it pass the vocal folds and out of the mouth.
Would I continue to be like that or would I now want to speak up more? I have no idea to be honest; as it is just me to not say what I think may end up being taken badly. Even now, when I make a comment I am constantly thinking if I had hurt anyone with that comment I made.
I guess after much thought, I would say I am one who exerts her opinions when necessary. Do I like it? I would say for now, I am comfortable with that.
This thought leaped frog to another and made me wonder of how opinionated we really are. As most would know, I have more often or not got into trouble because of opinions I made (Okay, never mind the fact that more often or not it is with my parents) and I always have something to say. I enjoy conversations where ideas are challenged and thoughts are questioned – nothing personal of course.
It is in fact a trait that people seem to identify with IJ girls. Thus, I do not think I am wrong to say that we are more opinionated and louder than most girls back home.
The funny thing is that, although I enjoy such conversations, I have never learnt to be a quick thinker. An odd combination I know.
Thus, since coming here, I have been nothing else but me however; I am thrown on the other end of the spectrum. Being the slow thinker I am I am often left in the smoke of the conversation and by the time I have thought of something to say, the dust has settled and the conversation have moved on in another tangent.
And for the first time in my life, I felt out-voiced! And many a times find myself wishing my brain could process faster and that words could fly out of my mouth. Maybe it is another trait I picked up from my upbringing: Having always been told I have a tongue as sharp as a sword I have learnt to rethink the things I am to say for fear of offending and hurting someone.
It is not all bad of course, I am still loud and I still get my opinions heard. The only difference is that there are occasions where I am left in the smoke and it frustrates me! Not in a bad way, if you know what I mean.
And so I am now left wondering, how much of us are silenced and how much of it is contributed by our laws and upbringing?
I would like to think I am one who speaks her mind and is comfortable when faced with opposition. However, I know that no matter how opinionated I am I think too much to be known as one who speaks her mind. As a result, a lot of my opinions end up being part of my self-talk to me and few make it pass the vocal folds and out of the mouth.
Would I continue to be like that or would I now want to speak up more? I have no idea to be honest; as it is just me to not say what I think may end up being taken badly. Even now, when I make a comment I am constantly thinking if I had hurt anyone with that comment I made.
I guess after much thought, I would say I am one who exerts her opinions when necessary. Do I like it? I would say for now, I am comfortable with that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home