/choopa choops/ or /chupa chups/?
"We all speak English but some English is more English than others." - Ruby Pan
How very true. When I first started studying linguistics I became a stick in the mud when it came to pronunciations. I got annoyed when people pronounced words funny or in a different way from how I would have pronounced it. But as I moved on to the second component of linguistics, it became clear to me that there is no correct pronunciation, just different pronunciations.
I must admit due to the nature of my school work, I have become sensitive to the various sounds and accents that people around make and use. Also, having been teased about the way I pronounce certain words - not in a bad way of course; have caused me to have an increased awareness of the way I speak and pronounce my words.
However, I have come to realize that it is these differences in pronunciations and accents that adds character to the country. Can you imagine Singapore without Singlish? Imagine ordering your favourite local food in proper queen's English? How weird is that? And how would the world be like if everyone spoke and sounded the same way?
Personally, I feel that we should embrace the way our culture has influenced us to speak whether it be singlish or English as that is a crucial part of who we are. Why pretend to speak with an accent that you didn't grow up in just to blend in when you already stand out of the crowd with your physical appearance?
As most of you would know, I suck at mandarin and any form of Chinese dialect, but I don't speak perfect English either. After a day at lectures and hanging out with my housemates, I start to speak with a slight Australian or American twang, but you would always be able to hear that occasional 'lah' and 'lor' in my speech. I used to be conscious about it and made sure I spoke in proper grammatically correct English, but seriously, that is not me and after a while it got way too tiring!
That being said, I have also learnt to be tolerant of people who may not speak or form their sentences in the same way I do. It is not easy and it got on my nerves a lot, but I try; even if it means gritting my teeth and holding back the urge to burst into a fit of laughter. (Yes yes, I used to make fun of teachers who speak funny... :P)
But whether you say /tomeito/ or /tomato/ as long as you are understood, who cares! ;P
How very true. When I first started studying linguistics I became a stick in the mud when it came to pronunciations. I got annoyed when people pronounced words funny or in a different way from how I would have pronounced it. But as I moved on to the second component of linguistics, it became clear to me that there is no correct pronunciation, just different pronunciations.
I must admit due to the nature of my school work, I have become sensitive to the various sounds and accents that people around make and use. Also, having been teased about the way I pronounce certain words - not in a bad way of course; have caused me to have an increased awareness of the way I speak and pronounce my words.
However, I have come to realize that it is these differences in pronunciations and accents that adds character to the country. Can you imagine Singapore without Singlish? Imagine ordering your favourite local food in proper queen's English? How weird is that? And how would the world be like if everyone spoke and sounded the same way?
Personally, I feel that we should embrace the way our culture has influenced us to speak whether it be singlish or English as that is a crucial part of who we are. Why pretend to speak with an accent that you didn't grow up in just to blend in when you already stand out of the crowd with your physical appearance?
As most of you would know, I suck at mandarin and any form of Chinese dialect, but I don't speak perfect English either. After a day at lectures and hanging out with my housemates, I start to speak with a slight Australian or American twang, but you would always be able to hear that occasional 'lah' and 'lor' in my speech. I used to be conscious about it and made sure I spoke in proper grammatically correct English, but seriously, that is not me and after a while it got way too tiring!
That being said, I have also learnt to be tolerant of people who may not speak or form their sentences in the same way I do. It is not easy and it got on my nerves a lot, but I try; even if it means gritting my teeth and holding back the urge to burst into a fit of laughter. (Yes yes, I used to make fun of teachers who speak funny... :P)
But whether you say /tomeito/ or /tomato/ as long as you are understood, who cares! ;P

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home