Saturday, March 18, 2006

I'm loving it!

I can now officially say that I have fully settled in and have adapted to life here - because I finally have proper kitchen utensils and a fridge full of food. You see, i ordered the kitchen pack from the housing thinking it would save me from the hassle of buying basic kitchen utensils, unfortunately thatw as not the case. I had to get a knife as the only knife they gave was a paring knife. The potato peeler is blunt and I needed a proper bowl for soups and a mixing bowl. the only bowl they gave was what we would call a small plate back home. ok not quite a plate as it had high sides, but still not a bowl.

So I went to stock up my kitchen last week, i bought condiments, sauces, meat of all sorts, vegetables, fresh milk (I actually drink milk here and WHITE MILK is what I'm drinking not Chocolate), fruits (OOO... they are sweet and crunchy!) and so I'm all stocked up and I'm saved from a trip to the market this week! :) So that gives me time to start on my assignment (which I am taking time from to blog this).

I am enjoying very bit of everything here. I enjoy cleaning my unit, grocery shopping and most importantly my lessons! :) Here, you can ask anything and not feel stupid, you have no fear in giving the wrong answer as no one is going to laugh at you and the lecturer just corrects you or adds on to your answer. The lecturers here are very very approachable too (at least the ones I got for this semster are.. I've heard some horror stories).

I like the fact that they treat you as an equal and they do not talk down to you. I actually developed a thirst for learning and I am wheening myself off memorising and paraphrasing. I actually take time to sit down understand and digest everyhting I learn. Something I never quite did back home as all you had to do was memorize and you'll get the grades.

A large part definitely comes from the fact that I am studying the course of my desire. But it helps when the lecturers play a role in fueling the desire - making you want to learn more and know more.

The view from my room is lovely - I am surrounded by greenary (although the ones around the housing have the tendency to look like shrubs) but I am always greeted with a lovely sky, the chirping of birds and the occasional millipede in the toilet. :P Walking back from school takes me 15 - 20min instead of 10 as I like to slow my pace and soak in the beauty around me. You see birds flying, building their nest, eating, playing and on some days i get an air show! A flock of gray cockatoos live in the greenary infront of my unit so when they all take flight - I just stare in awe.

But all is not rosy and peachy as some of you may have heard from me. I have 2 very perculiar housemates who gets stressed when i clean the house as, in their words, seem too clean to use.

Thankfully my other 2 housemates are full of fun. They are my friends, not just my housemates. I have lots of fun catching up with them everyday - trading stories and all. :)

The other thing that annoys me are Singaporeans who talk to you because you are Singaporean - thankfully none of my friends are like that! But there are such people around and it's obvious because at BBQs you see them appraching only those of similar skin colour. Why study in another country when you only want to be friends with you own kind?!?!

WOW!! I better go back to my books... See you later! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger t ruth said...

good to hear that! continue to be soaked!

3:03 AM  
Blogger SallY said...

hey babe.. take good care of yourself okay...its good to hear u are living good...Miss ya..

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!
sounds fun! hahha... hope everything is fine over there..

"report" back soon! =P

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home