Wednesday, January 23, 2008

some respect please?

Okay so I am sure everyone would have read about the comments made by the principal and minister regarding 'N' level students. And being a former 'N' level student myself I could not just let this slip without my 2 cents worth. So with some help from Cherie, I penned out a letter to the forum segment of the Straits Times. Of course .. I got a reply from them saying that they are unable to print my letter. Therefore it is now posted here to make my point made... :)


As a former 'N' level student, I met with great sadness and disappointment when I read the article 'Principal's ITE advice 'had to be delivered'' (ST, Jan 17). No doubt that we need to face the realities of a 'N' level student, but what most of us really need is encouragement and support, not a negative blow.

As 'N' level students, not only do we have to handle academic pressures, we too have to handle the social stigmatisms that have long plagued 'N' level students by being made outcasts not only by our peers in school, but also by society. Having gone through such an experience, I know how unpleasant and demoralizing the situation can make one feel. Fortunately for me, I had patient and supportive parents, teachers and friends who constantly encouraged and supported me.

Thus, as 'N' level students, we know our strengths and weaknesses and we know what we cannot achieve. What we do not know is that we have the potential and intelligence to achieve our dreams just like everyone else. What we need are words of encouragement and to be seen as any other student with the potential to excel and achieve.

We did not choose to go to the 'N' level stream, we were placed in the stream because we were seen as slower learners. If this system was set up to allow us to learn at our own pace, then maybe we should just be seen as students who learn at a slower pace and not students who are any less intelligent than those is the Express streams.

I have been through this same educational system before and faced the same hardship these girls are going through. However, I am currently pursuing a degree in the area of science, something not quite expected of an N Level student. There are struggles within, but because of previous encouragement throughout my secondary school life, I have found that faith within myself to be able to cope with them and to see myself as one who just learns differently instead of being one that is less intelligent. This is precisely what N level students are capable of - we may learn differently, but we have the same ability to achieve.

I hope that 'N' level students would be given the respect, encouragement and support they deserve, as they are no different: they have their ambitions too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Ada..really well written. But i guez i missed out on wht the Principal and minister said..

Bravo to the statement below, i soo totally got to agree with you:

"We did not choose to go to the 'N' level stream, we were placed in the stream because we were seen as slower learners. If this system was set up to allow us to learn at our own pace, then maybe we should just be seen as students who learn at a slower pace and not students who are any less intelligent than those is the Express streams. "

well in sum, no one should be looked down, i don't think anyone has such a right to do so in the first place.

Nice reading..do tke care

Vinitha
AFS, 2002-2005 (rem me?;))

4:03 PM  
Blogger Ada said...

Hey Vinitha... How nice of you to pop by my little space in cyberworld.. :) Of course I remember you Miss AFSN 2005! How are you? Is Peggy bullying you in the office?? Heh.. if she is let me know k.. :P Haha... Nah.. she is awesome right?? :D

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home