SURPRISED
That was the look on Marcus' face when he saw everyone at the club's entrance on sunday! :P
From the time the planning started to the time he was surprised, there was nothing but stress in the air, as much as I enjoyed every minute of planning it. :)
As I started planning the surprise not long after we got together, contacting his friends was a big hurdle, besides those whom I've gone out with on a few occasions, the rest were almost like strangers to me. The greatest fear i had was missing out those who meant the world to him and inviting those whom he wasn't close to.
Once, I contacted his friends, there was another hurdle awaiting me - getting some of his friends to come. I guess being rather unsure of his friendship with his poly friends, I got rather frustrated when they refused because they had to pay. In my head then I was practically screaming and on the verge of strangling them! I mean it's his 21st birthday?!
However, after the event, I'm glad only a small group came out of the large group I've called as it made the whole event more personal and cosy. =)
Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that planning a party would lead me to think of many issues I've once chose to ignore: I was never part of a big clique, I had my own tiny group of friends in secondary school, although I rarely shared with them how I felt about things or my problems, I knew they would be there for me when I needed them.
The people I shared my feelings and troubles with were not from my clique, they are three dear friends, all of whom have got their own cliques. Thus, we rarely hung out together in school, our friendship blossomed through telephone calls and occasional trips to town. At that time, I yearned to be apart of their cliques, i wanted them to be more than just my close friends whom I spoke to mostly via the telephone.
I gradually grew out of it and was simply contented with them being my close friends although we hardly went out together. However, something happened recently and it rocked the boat. A close friend of mine came in contact with a long lost friend. Initially, I was thrilled for her but the thrill soon turned to worry. Why? The same reason that made me yearn to be apart of them many years ago. The group of them share a kind of chemistry that is hard penetrate into or be apart of. Mainly because I do not share many of their interests. Part of me is afraid that I would loose the closeness and the strong friendship I share with my close friend especially when we've not been looking at certain things in the similar light.
As afraid I am to test our friendship, I believe what I share with her is far stronger than what I think it is. After all, the strength and depth of one's friendship cannot be defined anything tangible but rather it is something that only the people involved will understand, come to experience and know.
From the time the planning started to the time he was surprised, there was nothing but stress in the air, as much as I enjoyed every minute of planning it. :)
As I started planning the surprise not long after we got together, contacting his friends was a big hurdle, besides those whom I've gone out with on a few occasions, the rest were almost like strangers to me. The greatest fear i had was missing out those who meant the world to him and inviting those whom he wasn't close to.
Once, I contacted his friends, there was another hurdle awaiting me - getting some of his friends to come. I guess being rather unsure of his friendship with his poly friends, I got rather frustrated when they refused because they had to pay. In my head then I was practically screaming and on the verge of strangling them! I mean it's his 21st birthday?!
However, after the event, I'm glad only a small group came out of the large group I've called as it made the whole event more personal and cosy. =)
Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that planning a party would lead me to think of many issues I've once chose to ignore: I was never part of a big clique, I had my own tiny group of friends in secondary school, although I rarely shared with them how I felt about things or my problems, I knew they would be there for me when I needed them.
The people I shared my feelings and troubles with were not from my clique, they are three dear friends, all of whom have got their own cliques. Thus, we rarely hung out together in school, our friendship blossomed through telephone calls and occasional trips to town. At that time, I yearned to be apart of their cliques, i wanted them to be more than just my close friends whom I spoke to mostly via the telephone.
I gradually grew out of it and was simply contented with them being my close friends although we hardly went out together. However, something happened recently and it rocked the boat. A close friend of mine came in contact with a long lost friend. Initially, I was thrilled for her but the thrill soon turned to worry. Why? The same reason that made me yearn to be apart of them many years ago. The group of them share a kind of chemistry that is hard penetrate into or be apart of. Mainly because I do not share many of their interests. Part of me is afraid that I would loose the closeness and the strong friendship I share with my close friend especially when we've not been looking at certain things in the similar light.
As afraid I am to test our friendship, I believe what I share with her is far stronger than what I think it is. After all, the strength and depth of one's friendship cannot be defined anything tangible but rather it is something that only the people involved will understand, come to experience and know.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home