The Many Chapters of Life
Our lives are full various chapters - being a year older, starting school, graduating from school, making new friends, bidding friends goodbye, finding your first love, ending you first love, starting tertiary education, graduating, finding a job, your first job... the list goes on.
But the chapters of my life which I'm most familiar with is starting school and graduating from school. It is the only thing that makes up the thick chapters of my book. After all, I've only been a student for most of my life so far.
But these chapters, are filled with so much memories, treasures, drama, happiness and sadness. These are the chapters which shaped me to who I am today, they helped me find and discover my own distinct identity.
I feel like I'm standing at the start of the jetty, taking a slow walk to my ship, which would soon set sail to another jetty, where another chapter of my life would unfold.
11th June, would unofficially mark off the start of my last year in poly. As I look back on what happened since year 1, I see how far I've come from being a convent girl.
Leaving IJ and setting sail to another destination was a big step for me. It was literally leaving a convent after 11 years. Behind the high walls of my beloved alma mata, I grew up in a beautiful place, one protected from the heartless cruelty of society. But do not get the wrong idea, yes, we were protected, but we were given the foundation stones and skills to keep us from falling into the dark pits of society. It was behind those high walls, where I developed my determination and will to pursure my dreams and to make them come true. It was behind those high walls, I found my identity and unique self. It was behind those walls I found great friends who held my hand and walked through life's journey with me.
Stepping into poly, was my partial step into the world. My eyes were open to the harsh reality of back-stabbing, insincere friendships, pursuing what one wants by under table means and dissing people because of their academic grades. It made me a sad and unhappy person. I was rendered speechless and often questioned how can a place built by God be so hurtful and cold. At that time, I often yearned to be behind those high walls once again and to finish the 3 year journey as quickly as possible. It seemed as if I wanted a quick and less painful death.
However, it was only after stepping out of those walls that I grew up. I've become a stronger person. I'm no longer the fragile, weak and vulnerable girl I was. I've kept friendships which are now thick and hard to break. I've found friends which would last a lifetime. My perspectives are no longer narrow and one tracked. And the things I use to take for granted such as God, family and friends are now the things I treasure and cherish.
Most importantly, I've learnt to love myself more as I realized how unique I am and there will never be another me. I'm not just another IJ girl, I am Ada Emmanuelle Tok Shuling the IJ girl. Just as how each and every person I encounter is different and deserve to respected irregardless of their strange ways. (Yes, including those who irritate the heck out of me!)
From wanting to run to the end of the jetty and set sail without looking back and hoping to forget these three years, I now want to take a very slow stroll to the ship. Why? Just as how I found it difficult to leave the convent walls, I find it difficult to close this chapter of my life. I've found friends who stood by my side through my ups and downs, supported me in everything that I do, encouraged me to pursue my dreams, defeated the stubborn me, and to simply put it, accepted me for me. The memories I have made here are rich and precious. This short journey have also helped to strengthen the friendships with my convent friends.
Although, my journey as a Temasek Poly student ends in about a year from now, I take with me rich memories and beautiful friendships which have stood the test of time and distance.
A big hug and thank you to all my darling friends! I love you guys and may we continue to make more memories... and irregardless of the physical distance between us... I'm always here for you all okies... Like I always say: 'I'm just a phone call away!'
But the chapters of my life which I'm most familiar with is starting school and graduating from school. It is the only thing that makes up the thick chapters of my book. After all, I've only been a student for most of my life so far.
But these chapters, are filled with so much memories, treasures, drama, happiness and sadness. These are the chapters which shaped me to who I am today, they helped me find and discover my own distinct identity.
I feel like I'm standing at the start of the jetty, taking a slow walk to my ship, which would soon set sail to another jetty, where another chapter of my life would unfold.
11th June, would unofficially mark off the start of my last year in poly. As I look back on what happened since year 1, I see how far I've come from being a convent girl.
Leaving IJ and setting sail to another destination was a big step for me. It was literally leaving a convent after 11 years. Behind the high walls of my beloved alma mata, I grew up in a beautiful place, one protected from the heartless cruelty of society. But do not get the wrong idea, yes, we were protected, but we were given the foundation stones and skills to keep us from falling into the dark pits of society. It was behind those high walls, where I developed my determination and will to pursure my dreams and to make them come true. It was behind those high walls, I found my identity and unique self. It was behind those walls I found great friends who held my hand and walked through life's journey with me.
Stepping into poly, was my partial step into the world. My eyes were open to the harsh reality of back-stabbing, insincere friendships, pursuing what one wants by under table means and dissing people because of their academic grades. It made me a sad and unhappy person. I was rendered speechless and often questioned how can a place built by God be so hurtful and cold. At that time, I often yearned to be behind those high walls once again and to finish the 3 year journey as quickly as possible. It seemed as if I wanted a quick and less painful death.
However, it was only after stepping out of those walls that I grew up. I've become a stronger person. I'm no longer the fragile, weak and vulnerable girl I was. I've kept friendships which are now thick and hard to break. I've found friends which would last a lifetime. My perspectives are no longer narrow and one tracked. And the things I use to take for granted such as God, family and friends are now the things I treasure and cherish.
Most importantly, I've learnt to love myself more as I realized how unique I am and there will never be another me. I'm not just another IJ girl, I am Ada Emmanuelle Tok Shuling the IJ girl. Just as how each and every person I encounter is different and deserve to respected irregardless of their strange ways. (Yes, including those who irritate the heck out of me!)
From wanting to run to the end of the jetty and set sail without looking back and hoping to forget these three years, I now want to take a very slow stroll to the ship. Why? Just as how I found it difficult to leave the convent walls, I find it difficult to close this chapter of my life. I've found friends who stood by my side through my ups and downs, supported me in everything that I do, encouraged me to pursue my dreams, defeated the stubborn me, and to simply put it, accepted me for me. The memories I have made here are rich and precious. This short journey have also helped to strengthen the friendships with my convent friends.
Although, my journey as a Temasek Poly student ends in about a year from now, I take with me rich memories and beautiful friendships which have stood the test of time and distance.
A big hug and thank you to all my darling friends! I love you guys and may we continue to make more memories... and irregardless of the physical distance between us... I'm always here for you all okies... Like I always say: 'I'm just a phone call away!'

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home